Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tour of Sparks Elementary



On Friday, April 23, we went on a tour of Sparks, which is where Reese and Collin will be going to Kindergarten. The kids were so excited to see the big gym, cafeteria and all the other kids! Ms. McMichael and Ms. Salmon did the tour (the principal and the counselor) and they were so warm and down to earth. I didn't expect to feel that way, but was pleasantly surprised.
I had "heard" that parents could write a letter to help the counselors/teachers/principal place them with a teacher that is a "good fit" for each childs personality. I wasn't sure if this was something I should do, so I emailed the counselor and asked...is this something you welcome or discourage? I didn't want to be "THAT" parent if it is something that is frowned upon. The counselor promptly emailed me back that not only do they welcome the letters, but they encourage parents to write a letter to allow them insight into each childs strengths and weaknesses (I personally see this more as emotional and behavioral than academic). So, I did submit letters and hope this helps our transition into full-time public school. I want them to love school and have a positive experience from minute one.
I know Reese and Collin are going to do so well--it is me that is going to lose it!

1 comment:

Morton Madness said...

Jonah LOVES it there... I am sad to see him switch schools. When I am there for parties I always take Jonah home with me and when we leave through the office the teachers and people in the office all know his name. The principal is really great! I have not talked to her personally but is always so nice to the kiddos, she peeks in on all the class parties. They will LOVE it!