Friday, May 23, 2008

Any words of wisdom???

I am desperate for some words of wisdom or any idea that will actually work! Here's the story--Reese has been in dance for close to a year now. Her recital is June 14th. Problem is, I don't think she is actually going to go out on the stage and perform. I promise I am not a stage mom, but I just feel that if she would just walk out on the stage and do the dance (overcome her fear) that she would see it isn't all that bad and it is actually fun! She loved dance all last summer and fall, then this winter she started to seem like she didn't want to do it, so we sat out a few weeks. Once we resumed, she has seemed to love it. Well, today Ms. Jillian (her dance instructor) had all of the moms come in and watch the girls perform their recital dance. Reese would NOT do it. I tried and tried to walk her out on the floor, give her words of encouragement, reminder her of our bribe, but she wouldn't do it. She wanted me to do the dance with her. I can see me, at the recital, out on the stage in all my glory--wouldn't that be great??? Anyways, obviously I can't do that, so what should I do? I am trying bribery....if she does the dance at the recital, she can go to the toy store and pick out any toy she wants (obviously within reason). Is this wrong? What should I do? I want her to do it so she can overcome this little fear and realize that it isn't that bad. I hate that she feels self-concious--I just want her to enjoy herself and want to perform with her friends! I will take ANY suggestions OR advice. Obviously, if it comes down to it and she is upset or is really scared--I am not going to make her do it. I just want to encourage her in a positive way as much as I can :) Any ideas????

6 comments:

Diane said...

I can tell you that Kelsey was the same way in that when the parents got to come see the girls do their dance for recital in the room Kelsey just stood there looking at my reflection in the mirror. Then the day of the recital she went on stage with the others and did the dance. I am not saying that Reese will do the same the day of the recital but it is ok to let her try. Bless her heart. It will be fine. Kelsey became a dance drop out at 5 but then started playing the guitar at 7 so you never know. :) Diane

TEAMMA said...

If she wont do it, then pull her.. It is not fun and very distracting to the other girls if she goes out on stage and stands there or cries at recital-- plus embarassing for you.... if bribery is not working tell her she cant participate then....

Heather said...

I guess I would say, don't force it... I don't really have any experience to offer! Sorry!! I will say Grant's preschool had a performance in November where they sang and they had motions to go with the words. He totally hid the entire time it was hilarious! Then, at the end of the year program a couple of weeks ago, he sang, but didn't do the motions. No hiding this time. I think he just knew what to expect this time. Not sure if I'm helping or not!

Lauren said...

I'm not sure what to tell you... all I know is that at my first dance recital, my costume "malfunctioned" and I flashed the entire audience... at the tender young age of 4 I was mortified!! But, I did get over it and went on to do many many years of dance and drill team after that. So, I guess my words of wisdom are that if it doesn't happen now it doesn't mean it won't later.
Or, Marc's suggestion- intimidation is key! ;)

Denise said...

What if you tried this. It worked in the theatre classes that I took in high school (granted a little different). We used to do this thing where the day before a performace we each had our turn going out on the stage and taking everything in. Looking over the empty chairs and we were told to imagine people out there (to help get over the butterflies). What if you took Resse to where the dance was and invited family (people she feels comfortable with) to watch her. Then afterwards explain that it's just like that, only with a few more people.

Not sure that's the answer, but it's worth a try. :}

julie said...

Hopefully you will have a dress rehearsal on the stage. That usually helps get the kids used to the whole performance idea. I have 3 girls in dance. I have never bribed or told them they have to perform. They are older now, 16 and 10(twins). We approach every performance with a fun attitude. I used to help my girls to wear the costume at home so they got used to it. Sometimes those things are scratchy! It also might help to watch other kids in their recitals on YouTube. Your daughter will know what its like and get an idea of what other little girls do. From experience I have seen dance and performing give my daughters the confidence to do so many other things. Good luck and have a great weekend!