Monday, May 4, 2009

Soccer Games 2 & 3

I have no pictures from these games, but just wanted to keep a little log of what happened along the road of our first soccer season. After the first game, I decided I was going to give Reese & Collin a little encouragement to stay in the game and make a good effort. During the first game they both seemed a little unsure (especially Collin) and would come over to Jeff and I and say they wanted to come out of the game. So, I had this brilliant idea to tell them that they had to stay in the game, no whining and help their friends, I didn't care HOW they played, just wanted them to get in there and run up and down the field--IF they could do that they could pick out a toy from the dollar store. Well, this totally back fired on me, because Reese got in there and gave a really good effort and Collin did not. He seemed really intimidated and did not want to go in most of the game. After the game, he said, "I played good, didn't I?"....I just didn't have the heart to say "NO!" and I realized at that moment that he would attribute his toy/bribe to playing good or bad---not willing to do this to my child at 4 years old, I started thinking, "what am I gonna do now"? SOOOOOOOOOOOO, I had to tell Reese & Collin, "Mommy made a big mistake. I should not have told you that you could get a toy for playing soccer. I am really sorry. I am going to let you pick out a toy this ONE TIME, but it is becuse I LOVE YOU and has nothing to do with soccer. We will not be getting toys for soccer EVERY AGAIN. I am so sorry, I should never have told you that." I continued to explain this to them several times over the week and felt really guilty that I had done that to begin with. I really don't believe in bribery, but just thought if they could get in there and give it a good try, that they would enjoy it and see that it isn't scary, but fun....so moral of the story, hopefully my kids can learn that Mommy makes mistakes too and I will definitely admit it when I do!
Game 3--Jeff was not able to be there, so it was just me and the kids. Reese is really starting to enjoy the game. She got in there and played ALOT! She even scored a goal! Reese is very quick and can run faster than most all of the kids. She also played defense and blocked several goals. She says she LOVES soccer! Collin, is still struggling. Jeff and I decided that we are going to try to sit AWAY from the bench and really try not to talk to them during the game. Well, Collin came off the bench, around the field (this is indoor soccer) and I realized that I may have to stand behind him just to keep him with the team. I went over there and made him stand on the bench (so he can see the game in the arena). He wanted to get down, play, watch the OTHER soccer game going on--but I would not let him. He had two choices, get in and play OR stand on the bench. His choice. Coach Tonia, kept asking him if he wanted to play and he would say "No", so I finally I told her not to ask him, just put him in there. Plus, he had started to say, "I want to do it". I think he was just so freakin' bored, he didn't want to stand there and watch the game anymore. He got in there and actually started running up and down the field. He would come over periocially and check in....I would just say "go help your friends", "go help Reesie". Well, low and behold, he broke away and SCORED A GOAL, yes it was for the OTHER team, but nonetheless he thinks he SCORED!!!! So, he was so excited. Our whole team celebrated and the coaches encouraged him, as if he had scored for our team. I am hoping this might have been a small turning point for him. Jeff and I believe in making him complete the season and giving it a good effort while he does. After this, if he no longer wants to play, then that is his choice. Oh man, the struggles of being a parent. Always wondering, "am I doing the right thing?". I have to tell you, I don't even care about soccer, but I feel some of these decisions are life lessons. I love my kids so much and just want to be the best Mommy I can be, but sometimes it is so hard!

No comments: