Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What would you do?


TWINS
So many good things come in pairs,
Like ears and socks and panda bears.
But best of all are sets of twins,
with extra laughter, double grins.
There's so much fun in having two
with twice as many points of view.
So much alike, forever linked,
and yet they're also quite distinct.
They share a birthday and a name,
But moods and tempers aren't the same.
Although at times they may dispute,
their loyalty is absolute.
From days of youth till life is done,
it's one for both and both for one.
We're all quite novel and precise,
But special folks ~God made twice.
(c) Larry Howlandused with permission


I am so torn on what to do about this, I just cannot decide what I want to do. I am trying to decide to keep Reese and Collin in the same class this year OR to separate them.
In one respect, it is so nice to have them together in one class. When I go to class parties, or participate in parent involvement activities, I can go to one class and spend all of my time with BOTH of them. Also, they seem to do really well together at school, no fighting, arguing or aggravating (at least no teacher has reported this if they do). I also think they genuinely enjoy having each other in class. Their teachers always say Reese takes care of Collin. She wants to make sure he gets a snack, drink, and tries to help him out when need be--which I think is so sweet.
On another note, I wonder if Collin might need to be taking care of himself and would like to be able to worry about himself. I also think it might be good for them to learn to have that independence from one another. If they were in separate classes, when I volunteered or visited they would get ALL of my attention (even if it is for half of the time). Also, Collin would not have Reese reporting EVERY move he makes.
I just can't decide. I feel like if I am going to make a request to put them in DIFFERENT classes, I need to make this decision ASAP. I genuinely want to do what is BEST for both of them. I want them to thrive and grow and have their own identity. I don't want them to depend on each other, but I do want them to share and take care of each other--that is what makes their little bond so special. I love that in gymanstics they are in different classes, but when they pass each other they say "I love you" or kiss each other (not sure their teachers love this but it is SO sweet). I want to nurture their bond, but not hinder them individually. What would you do? HELP!!! I am so torn.


YOU ARE YOU AND I AM ME
You are you, and I am me,
and that's how it was meant to be.
Sometimes we play. Sometimes we fight.
Sometimes you're wrong. Sometimes you're right.
We hug, we read, we play our games.
Sometimes we do things just the same.
But you are you, and I am me.
Sometimes we do things differently.
Sometimes you go. Sometimes I stay.
I miss you when you go away.
Sometimes we're rough. Sometimes we're mild.
Sometimes we like to drive mom wild.
But you are sweet, and I am kind,
and, more than not, we like to mind.
Cause you are you, and I am me,
and we are more than just a "WE."
You eat your peas. I turn away.
You like to steal things from my tray.
You like to swim. I like to run.
We like to pray when day is done.
We like to talk into the night
and stay awake without a light.
Cause you are you, and I am me,
and that's how it was meant to be.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I don't feel qualified to comment!! But since they spend a lot of time together at home (obviously), maybe separate classes would be better??????? This is definitely one for the moms of multiples! Sorry!

Julianne said...

I would do it now. Ally & Maddie are going to have such a hard time in Kindergarten at first because they haven't been separated yet. I know it would have been good for them to be separated in preschool for a year or two, but we didn't have that option just doing two days at our school (there was only one class of two-day). I know several people who have separated their twins and they said both kids did great! Just my opinion, though. . .

Denise said...

You should do what is in your heart. It's hard for me to say one way or another - since we only have one child. But I know that what ever choice you make - will be the right one.