Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dreaded Decision

I did it. I finally made the decision, one that was made with lots and lots of dread and sadness, but with hope that it will only help Reese and Collin to be stronger, more independent, better equipt-to-deal-with-life individuals. I made the decision to seperate them in school this next school year.
I so want them to be close and to have a little twin bond, and to share EVERYTHING with each other. I want them to protect each other, help each other, and stick up for each other. I want them to be each other's shoulder to cry on, and for them to put each other before friends, and to cheer each other on, but I think they must also learn to stand alone as individuals.
Our school has a Transitional Kindergarten program (which is what they will do since I am holding them back). Our school is pretty small, so they offer only one "TK" class, so next year they will be back together for sure. So, this really is their only opportunity to be separated before they start Kindergarten. I think it is only fair, as a "twin" parent, to try to bring out the best of each of them, and to not handicap them by keeping them together too long.
So, this is it. No turning back now (although our sweet director told me that if I changed my mind that it would be okay). I think it will be good for them, sad for me. I hate these type of decisions, but one that has been made completely out of love and only wanting the best for Reese and Collin. I love them so dearly, and I don't want to regret any decisions I have made (although I am sure I will). I always want to feel I gave lots of thought, energy and effort into every big decision I make for them--they deserve that and so much more. Being a parent is so hard. Who knew????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitzi I think it will work out good for them and like you said the following year they will be together in the TK class. Diane

Anonymous said...

You are such a good mom. - Shannon

Anonymous said...

I think they will do great. When they see each other at school it will be exciting. They won't be together all day so they'll each have their own stories to share when you pick them up. Don't worry.
Carley