Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer MDO

I know it has been a little while since I have posted, but it has been an interesting week. Reese and Collin started a "summer" Mother's Day Out program this week (this is not the program we attend during the school year). They are going on Tues./Thurs. for 7 weeks. I thought this would be good for them and also for me. I have heard great things about this program, so I was expecting great things. Unfortunately, I have been a bit disapppointed.
We didn't really have a great start to our week. I hate that for the kids. Our first day, I walked Reese and Collin to their room, ready for a big, warm, sweet, nurturing welcome and I didn't really get the warm fuzzies. Mrs. "B" their teacher is fine, but not the loving, wonderful teachers we are used to at our regular preschool. I am highly disappointed by this. All I really want from a summer program, is lots of love and lots of fun. Sure, some academic lessons would be a bonus, but all I am really asking for is the kids to get to see their friends, play, and socialize--I definitely think they need structure, rules and to follow directions, but I just mean I am not expecting a full on curriculum with tons of academic progress being made over the next 7 weeks.
The kids don't seem to hate it, but they keep asking me, "When are we going back to our old school"? "When do we get to see Ms. Brandi and Ms. Lori (teachers from this past year)"? I feel so sad that they aren't loving school, because they adore our school we attend during the school year. I do feel they are safe, and taken care of, I just want more than that for Reese and Collin. Unfortunately I have already paid my tuition for the entire summer, so we will be going for the next 6 weeks (that is all we have left).
I just want to add that we have several friends who are also enrolled in this program, and have had the same feelings I have. I don't think I am being overly criticial, but can you really be overly critical when it comes to your kids?
I am crossing my fingers that the kids enjoy this next week and that this week goes better than last. Hopefully some of this is just "first week" issues and will be ironed out this week. For any friends and teachers that read my blog and attend/teach at KIDZWORLD, we love you and now realize how blessed we are to have such an amazing program. I already knew how much we loved our preschool, but this just drives the point home.

No comments: