Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Scary Moment!

Today it is just me, Reese and Collin and we ran a couple of errands, then we went to Amy's to swim. I helped Reese & Collin get their swimsuits on, put on sunscreen--then we all headed into the pool area. Amy has a safety gate, so no one can get in the pool area without an adult. I grabbed our floaties (or water wings) and Reese and Collin got on the first step....the water is lower leg deep....this is a very large area in Amy's pool. I was standing right there with the floaties, I look down, and Reese jumps INTO the pool. She did NOT have her floaties on. She does not know how to swim, so she of course goes under. I jumped straight into the pool in jeans, shirt, jewelry--the whole nine yards. She was probably under for 10 seconds total (if that), but it was very scary. This is just a little warning in water safety. We were doing everything right, so it really didn't end up being a big deal, but the thought of what COULD happen terrifies me. I am so scared when it comes to pools and my kids--this just confirms why!
Ironically enough, when I got home and put the kids down to nap--I checked my email and a friend had sent me an email/article on water safety. All of you please be so careful with your babies at the pool, it would be such a tragedy to lose one of our little angels in such a senseless way. Reese even ended up getting her floaties on and swimming -- it took her a little while to venture back in, but I was so glad she did. We do have swim lessons this summer, but not until July. Even though I signed up a few months ago, the lady that is doing them was booked until July. Have fun at the pool, but be careful!

2 comments:

Heather said...

oh my goodness!!! glad you are all okay and that she still wanted to swim... that would have totally freaked me out!!!

TEAMMA said...

OMG--glad shes ok..... guess swiim lessons cant come to soon!! wow!!