Monday, March 23, 2009

Congential Heart Defects....

As many of you know, I was born with a Congential Heart Defect (CHD). The name of the particular defect was Tetrology of Fallot. Ironically enough, I was reading thru a blog I always read and she had linked to another blog (www.thewelshfam.blogspot.com)-- this blog was a mom who has a baby girl who has the same heart defect that I was born with. As you can imagine, this mom is on a roller coaster of emotions as she awaits her daughter's open heart surgery that will be in the next couple of months. I felt inclined to leave a comment letting her mother know that I had been born with Tetrology of Fallot as well, and it had been corrected at the age of 2. I had 2 surgeries, but the 2nd one (at 2 years old) was the true success. I have been so blessed to live a healthy, active life and I wanted to share that with her. This sweet mother is trying to draw awareness to CHD and so she is doing a Give-A-Way on her blog. She is strictly doing it for AWARENESS, not donations. You can click the link above, leave a comment and you are registered to win!!!! Please pray for Bentley to continue to be active, strong and developmentally on track AND for her to need only 1 successful surgery. Please also pray for her family to stay strong during this difficult journey.

Here a few CHD facts..
**Congenital heart defects are the #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 100 babies is born with a CHD.
**Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths.
**Congenital heart defects are the leading cause of all infant deaths in the United States.
**Each year approximately 40,000 babies are born in the United States with a congenital heart defect. Thousands of them will not reach their first birthday and thousands more die before they reach adulthood.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Oh you are too sweet. Thank you for doing this. You are such an inspiration to not only me but my whole family.